Happy Freakin’ New Year, guys! We greeted the new year with mild excitement and little effort, lots of Kpop and some neighborly confrontations. Henry and Chooch made strange-tasting sugar cookies & I drank wine. Basically just a regular night up here in the Appledale shanty.
2016 was the worst year I have personally experienced in 20 years. I get it – let’s not blame a random calendar year, etc. But there’s no denying that this past year was heavy with a glaze of depression, oppression, and great loss all around for everyone, universally. I experienced personal loss myself and the best way I can explain it is that it was like having my childhood resurrected only to watch it get stabbed to death right before my eyes. Most of the year was a living nightmare, no hyperbole intended.
I learned a lot about myself (for instance, I haven’t healed from past traumas like I thought I had, just built a wall around my heart stronger than any dumb wall Trump has in mind), cried a lot (I am extremely emo though), but I also got to spend time with a lot of awesome people, and that’s my takeaway: no matter how shitty everything may be, friends will always make it seem OK. (I guess also I couldn’t have gotten through it all without dumb Henry and Chooch, too.)
I went to even more shows alone this past year and have discovered that I actually like it! Being alone is ok sometimes, especially if it means not forfeiting doing something you want to do just because you don’t have anyone to do it with you. It’s helped the “old Erin” resurface a bit more, and I remembered how much I kind of liked her, even though she made bad decisions and was SUPER OBNOXIOUS and TEMPERAMENTAL, lol. A cameo here and there is OK.
So for 2017, I want to take all the good from 2016 and multiply it by a million. I want to:
- hang out more with my friends / being more diligent in solidifying plans so they don’t fall thru – socializing takes effort!
- make new friends (BUT KEEP THE OLD ONES, ONE IS SILVER AND THE OTHER GOLD – Girl Scouts throwback, y’all.)
- go to even more shows (and I went to A LOT in 2016–I think it may have been a record for me!)
- travel more (literally every trip we took last year involved traveling for a concert or festival, with the exception of Disney, so I want to go places with the sole intent of being a tourist)
- finally redo the third floor so that my out-of-town friends can stay here when they visit! (AND ALSO BANDS CAN CRASH HERE)
- spend time with the THREE NEW GRANDKIDS that Henry is expecting! (I guess it makes me a fauxma?)
- actually start researching what I need to do realize my dream and not work in an office for the rest of my life
- do more kpopx!
- take more pictures with my broken camera and get back into film photography too because I miss that shit
- be more outspoken about social issues because just because 2016 is over, doesn’t mean the nightmare is going to just go away.
- Learn to cook (LOL EW JK)
- continue being ridiculous with Chooch, i.e. driving Henry mad.
And the Carly Rae Jepsen show!!