This was me, New Years Eve 1999. I was all set to get all lampshade-wearin’ crazy again this year too, but a stomach bug had other ideas for me. So instead, I rang in 2010 laying on the couch under a blanket, eating Doritos (the only thing other than frozen yogurt I could fathom injesting 10 hours after my stomach cavity had been exorcised), and playing Words With Friends with Henry, who gets so mad at my 60+ point words that he yells, “You bitch!” and I know deep down it’s full of love. I was supposed to have gone to a party and was really looking forward to that, but all in all I didn’t hate my New Year’s Eve. I’ve had plenty worse. And my mantra is: If the night doesn’t end with me paddling downstream on tears, then it must have been pretty good.
So I expected going into this post with the “Fuck 2009, bring on 2010” mindset, and then I realized that, yeah, maybe some aspects of the past year were shitty, like getting laid off and then testing positive for a drug I haven’t smoked in 10 years, but really 2009 was full of some pretty cool shit. Please excuse me while I reflect.
- THE PENGUINS WON THE STANLEY CUP, HOLLA!!
- After years of knowing him on LiveJournal, I finally got to meet Bill and his awesome lady-half Jessi.
- Discovered I’m really fucking awesome at bowling.
- Saw a lot of awesome shows
- The “Where’s the Band?” Tour with Dustin Kensrue, Chris Conley, Matt Pryor, and Anthony Raneri
- Cold in Cleveland, which was the first time since 2005 they toured, and it turned out to be a big waterwork sesh for me
- Craig Owens!! in Cleveland with Alisha! I think this was tied with Cold for my favorite show of the year
- The Used
- Chiodos in Columbus: my big hot date with Henry
- WARPED TOUR!!
- The Giglife Tour with Gravemaker, Fireworks, The Swellers, Set Your Goals, and Four Year Strong
- Brand New and Manchester Orchestra in Cleveland
- The “Squash the Beef” tour with Of Machines, Tides of Man, Of Mice and Men, Dance Gavin Dance and Emarosa (awesome show with the exception of douchebarrel Jonny Craig from Emarosa getting blitzed and singing like shit.)
- Thrice!!! with Polar Bear Club and the Dear Hunter!
- Got some of my Somnambulant shit in a real brick and mortar shop here in Pittsburgh
- Watched Bill and Jessi get married in Vegas via webcam
- Made it another year without managing to neglect or endanger my child
- Had some photoshoot fun
- Made it a priority to spend more time with friends
- Went to the wedding of one of my oldest friends, Lisa. And cried.
- Was served a broken toe by Henry (Wait, wrong list.)
- Reconnected with my mom, for better or worse
- Got to go to my first Penguins game since 1997!
Please allow me to be cheesy for a second, but the best part of 2009 was reuniting with Alisha. We met back in 2005, became fast friends, but then had a falling out. Mostly because I’m a bullheaded psycho (and even worse, I was a bullheaded psycho amped up on pregnancy hormones). But we’re friends again and I’m not sure how I would have dealt with some things (that seem so insignificant now anyway) if she hadn’t been around. Plus, I have big plans for her involving cherry pies, blindfolds and stilts.
I think the greatest lesson I took away from 2009 is that no matter how much the universe shits on you, you just have to get up and brush it off. Wallowing will get you nowhere. It’s a tough mindset to uphold at times, but I’m not sure where I’d be right now if I let myself stew in self-pity. It also helps to have someone like Henry around who gets all mother hen and will say shit like, “OK, that’s enough. Go call someone and go out.”
I hope you all had a great New Year’s Eve and that 2010 will be full of delux awesome! Thanks to anyone who still continues to read this shit!