Back in April, Kaitlin surprised me at work by baking me a lamb cake because I was so obsessed with this nagging vision I had for a photo shoot that absolutely could not happen without a goddamn lamb cake. What happened after that, though, was a series of mishaps and it was clear that this cake and I were just not meant for each other.
- It fell on the way home from work that night, the moment I was left unsupervised with it
- Three days later, the head fell off en route to my mom’s house for the shoot
- It was raining
- The head fell off five thousand more times while I tried to set up the table outside in the rain
- My mom is an asshole so I couldn’t use her kitchen for the shoot like I had envisioned in my head
- It was raining and Henry was there
- Corey and I weren’t on the same page and it was raining
- Henry was there
I gave up after about 45 minutes, threw a huge fit with Ketchup and frosting all over my hands; it was a pretty bleak scene. It all boils down to me being a black cloud for baked goods. The last time Kaitlin gave me macarons to photograph, my cat Don sat on them within 2 minutes of me setting them down.
Anyway, the whole lamb cake ordeal had become such a sore subject for me, that I never even posted the (few) photos I was able to salvage. Then my friend DJ Shortpants unexpectedly caught some inspiration from the lamb cake blog post and produced a song that perfectly complements the creep-factor of the frosted Easter deight. I’ve listened to it unlimited times already, and even played it in the car on the way home from the fair Saturday, the dark country roads providing an apropros atmosphere.
DJ Shortpants himself gave me permission to post this here for everyone to enjoy (and you should!). Thank you, DJ Shortpants!
GET IT IN YR HEAD, YA’LL:
And while the spirit of the lamb cake is being summoned, here are some pictures from the photo shoot from Hell. (Literally from Hell—it was in my mom’s yard.)
Maybe someday I’ll try again, now that I have the perfect music to accompany it.